Project Development Process
The development of the Valletta Waterfront project was carried out over a number of years. During the first year of activity a lot of design preparations, planning sessions and activities related to the development program were made. Due to the magnitude of the project, these had to be split into a number of phases.
Phase 1 – March 2002 to April 2003
- Construction of a new block to accommodate third party owners.
- Relocation of Pinto road between the bastions and the rear of the Pinto stores.
- Emergency repairs to the quay infrastructure on Pinto 1 and 2.
Phase 2 - October 2002 to April 2004
- Restoration of the Pinto Stores Facades and the re-building of part of the stores which were destroyed during World War II.
- The construction of Maritime Trade Centre - MMA Offices.
- General improvements of the Ferry Terminal facilities.
- Establishment of VISET Administrative offices.
- New Police Station.
- Formation of the Laguna and other excavation works within the development site.
Phase 3 – October 2003 to December 2005
- Internal structural interventions to Pinto 13-19 and Forni Stores.
- The construction of the Waterfront promenade and the completion of the laguna.
- Construction of the Forni retail facilities and passenger facilities.
Phase 4 – Nov 2005 to April / May 2007
- Restoration of an area to house new check-in for homeport operations.
- Refurbishment of Pinto 1 and 2 deck and installation of new fenders.
- Restoration of the Old Power House façade.
- Construction of a new arrivals hall at the Pinto Terminal (Ferry Terminal).
- Internal structural interventions to Pinto Vaults 1 to 6.
- Completion of the marina entrance at the west-end and bridge construction.
- Building of the Pinto Departures Lounge and facilities.
Photos of the Valletta Waterfront before and after restoration